Note: Before starting supervision, you and your supervisor should carefully review OAC 4757-25-04 and OAC 4757-29-01, as well as the IMFT Supervision Verification Form. Reviewing these resources now will ensure all of the supervision requirements are met.
Excerpt from 4757.30 License as marriage and family therapist. of the Revised Code:
(G) An independent marriage and family therapist or a marriage and family therapist may not diagnose, treat, or advise on conditions outside the recognized boundaries of the marriage and family therapist's competency. An independent marriage and family therapist or a marriage and family therapist shall make appropriate and timely referrals when a client's needs exceed the marriage and family therapist's competence level.
4757-25-04 Requirements for licensure as an independent marriage and family therapist.
All applicants for licensure as an independent marriage and family therapist shall:
(A) After completion of the required education set forth in paragraph (A) of rule 4757-25-01 of the Administrative Code, the applicant shall meet the following requirements:
(1) Complete at least two calendar years of supervised training while engaged in the practice of marriage and family therapy.
(2) The two years of supervised training must include two hundred hours of face-to-face supervision while completing a minimum of one thousand hours of documented client contact in marriage and family therapy.
(3) Of the required two hundred hours of face-to-face supervision, a minimum of one hundred hours shall be individual supervision.
(4) Of the required one thousand hours of client contact, a minimum of five hundred hours shall be with couples and/or families present.
(5) The training supervision shall be performed by a supervisor whose training and experience meet the standards established in paragraph (C) of rule 4757-29-01 of the Administrative Code.
(B) Meet all the requirements established in rule 4757-25-03 of the Administrative Code.
Under (A) (4) of this rule, the five hundred hour relational component does not apply to those MFTs who meet all of the following:
• began their training supervision before June 1, 2014
• finish their training supervision before June 1, 2016
• file an IMFT license application before June 1, 2016
Please contact the Board if further clarification is needed.