Ohio.gov  |   State Agencies   |   Online Services
Moving to Another State?


Moving to Another State?

The term “reciprocity” is often used by licensees who wish to obtain a license in another state.  Reciprocity means that two or more states have a written agreement under which a licensee from one state can be licensed in the other states under that agreement. Ohio has no licensing reciprocity agreements with other states. 

There is also no process to “transfer” your license from one state to another.  You may seek licensure in another state and continue to maintain your Ohio license.

The term “endorsement” means using your active license in Ohio to help you meet the licensure requirements in another state.  Some states have endorsement rules so check with the licensing board of the state you are moving to.

To locate a licensing board:

Social Workers:  Association of Social Work Boards; www.aswb.org

Counselors: National Board for Certified Counselors; www.nbcc.org

Marriage and Family Therapists: American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy; www.aamft.org

The state in which you are applying for licensure may want Ohio to verify your license, (or your previous license if your license is not active) or provide a letter of good standing.  If so, submit a Request for Out of State License Verification form with the required $25.00 fee.  Verification Form

Some states have a verification form that they want this board to complete.  If so, send the other state verification form along with your Ohio Request form.   If the other state does not have a form we will use our own form.  This is also a good time to notify the Board of any address change.

$25 dollar Fee

The fee for out of state license verification is $25.00 which may be paid by money order, cashier or business check made out to the “Treasurer State of Ohio”.  No personal checks.  The fee may also be paid by credit card.  Complete the Credit Card Authorization Form on Page 2 OR check the box “Please call me for a credit card.”


If the other state has a verification form they want this board to complete include that form with this Request form.  If the other state does not have a form we will use our own form


Be sure to provide accurate information regarding where the verification is to be mailed.  (We will also mail you a copy of the verification.)  If the verification is to be sent to you to include in your application to the other state you will receive 2 envelopes; the original with a signature stamp across the envelope seal and a copy for your records.